sc: Li Min/China Daily
During sophomore or senior year, we often consider choosing the college major that we think will suit us well. Sometimes, it would be overwhelming when facing with various factors: your strengths and weaknesses, your dream career path, the university you’re applying to, etc. Often, we choose the program that develops competences and enlarges the knowledge in our field of interests. Nowadays, with the growing demand for human resources for cross-culture transactions, many students decide to pursue a bachelor program of International Business. Especially in many developing countries in Asia, including Vietnam, students will not only enjoy a new vista while studying abroad but also having opportunities for many potential jobs. Here are some main points for you to get some information about this major and then we will take a look at our International Business program provided by VNU-IS.
- What is Business? What is International Business?
- Why has this major become trendy around the world and in Vietnam?
- What will I gain from studying International Business?
- Which job in International Business is suitable for me ?4.1. Choosing the job based on the type of business
4.2. Choosing the job based on business functions
- Where should I study International Business?
Before asking about the benefits that you could expect when studying International Business, let’s figure out some basic knowledge about this major.
According to Investopedia, a business is defined as “an organization or enterprising entity engaged in commercial, industrial, or professional activities”. Depending on its purpose, businesses can seek to generate and increase revenue from their products and services or they can run as a non-profit organization, working for their humanitarian mission. A business size varies from privately owned companies to multinational corporations, such as Unilever, Toyota and so forth.
With the mutating technology, productive methods and an improved communication, many enterprises have broadened their goals to go global. Therefore, International Business refers to all the commercial activities that are held across the border. Culture diversity and globalization are two key terms to obtain the features of this field.
The enhancement in political relationships among countries and the removal of many government restrictions in the world has facilitated the substantial growth of international trade. Recovered from the World War II, the worldwide economy, assisted with many efforts for cultural stability, has indirectly raised the number of middle-class households and their demand for both local and imported goods. Besides, the ambition of many corporations to expand their brand visibility globally has been meeting the needs and wants of many customers around the world such as Coca Cola, Hyundai, Amazon and so on. Moreover, we can’t ignore the revolutionary impact of technology development on our everyday lives and on all departments of businesses. With a computer accessed to the Internet, businesses can hold a meeting, make travel arrangements or even conduct a marketing campaign online. Consumers could make a purchase online and have stuff shipped to right in front of the door.
All of these factors have put pressure on businesses and entrepreneurs to advance their strategies, operating on a global scale to keep abreast with the fast-changing and technology-driven world today.
As for Vietnam, it has been over 40 years since the end of the Vietnam War, and today we are considered as one of the booming economies in Asia, entering the path to long-term development along with China, Japan and Korea. With a stable rate of economic growth and the policy on foreign investment attraction, Vietnam is a promising country for many global enterprises, raising the high demand for well-qualified international business graduates.
A view by the Saigon river, Saigon – one of the biggest cities in Southeast Asia, located in the South of Vietnam (sc: Than Diep from Unsplash)
During and after studying International Business, students will be able to:
- obtain the fundamental business knowledge and skills
- demonstrate leadership and collaboration capabilities through networking skills and apply the understanding of cultural diversity in the workplace
- keeping up with new practices and technologies
- approach and solve the multicultural and multinational issues in global and innovative perspective
In short, students will improve the way to think critically and globally, being open to learn about foreign cultures, and seek to expand and advance business options.
At Vietnam National School Hanoi – International School, seniors will select one of the optional courses to concentrate on their suitable field, including Corporate Accounting, Finance and Marketing.
Students after graduating with a Bachelor degree of International Business will have a wide range of opportunities to pursue a suitable career path. There are some important factors you should evaluate before applying for any positions, namely the type of business entity and the business functions.
- Working for the Government: If you’re seeking a prudent job, the government agencies may be the first come to your mind. These positions are really competitive and the successful candidates are chosen based on their specialty of trading and international affairs. Some government websites will have a section for job announcement, a list of requirements, duties, and the instructions to apply for a position. For example, in Vietnam, applicants with a degree in International Business would look at The Ministry of Industry and Trade, with some relevant positions in Agency for Foreign Trade, Vietnam E-commerce and Information Technology Agency, etc.
- Working in Non-profit Organizations: There are many non-profit and non-government organizations that are looking for well-qualified experts with an in-depth knowledge of cross-cultural diversity, social and global issues and an aspiration to contribute for a better community. Until 2019, Vietnam has relations with nearly 1,200 foreign non – governmental organizations (NGOs), of which 501 organizations have regular operations in Vietnam. (source: vietnamtimes.org.vn), which shows an inclusive job opportunities for graduates deciding to work in Vietnam.
United Nations – one of the largest NGOs in Vietnam. On June 7, 2019, Vietnam was officially elected as a non permanent member of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) for the 2020-2021 term.
- Working for private companies: With your International Business degree, you can work in several different departments of a company, for instance, sales, management, commerce and so on. As for the private sector, you can look for jobs online, through networking at your school or during the internship. Sometimes, with the outstanding performance at school, top companies will find you instead.
Here are some job titles going with its specific department in businesses. You can look for a potential position after researching for the main function of the job, requirements and what you can gain from that job.
- Global Trade, Sales, and Marketing: International Manager, Marketing and Communications; Sales Manager, International Content Sales; Direct Marketing Assistant; Bilingual Sales Representative; Global Account Manager; etc
- Human Resources: International Assignment Specialist; Recruiter; Training Director; Regional Human Resource Manager; Remote Human Resources
- International Banking and Finance: Foreign Banking Compliance Officer; Foreign Currency Investment Advisor; Account Executive; Mutual Fund Analyst
- Information Technology (IT)/Technical Operations: International Affairs Cyber Analyst; Technical Associate Country Manager; Marketing Technologist; Business Systems Analyst
- Project Management: International Management Consultant; Multinational Manager; Partnership Analyst
- International/Foreign Affairs: Foreign Affairs Specialist; Public Affairs Officer; Foreign Service Officer
- International Communications: Events Manager; Interpreter; International Business Meeting Planner
As the demand for educated and professional workers in the field of international business is growing in the several years, many institutions have researched and established the International Business program for undergraduate students. Yet in Vietnam, until 2019, there are only 10 universities in Hanoi providing this course. (source: tuyensinhso.vn)
At Vietnam National University, Hanoi – International School, students will attend updated lectures, comprehensive study materials with a lot of chances to intern for multinational corporations in collaboration with our school. VNU-IS is a pioneer in activities to maintain and develop strong cooperation relationships with many domestic enterprises as well as FDI enterprises.
Also, students are offered various opportunities to transfer to other universities in order to complete the program among which are Missouri State University (US), Heriot-Watt University (UK), University of Huddersfield (UK), Chienkuo Technology University (TW), University of Canberra (AUS). With these options, students will have the chance to broaden their experience, explore a new culture and learn more about the places they want to work at.
In order to apply for the International Business undergraduate program at VNU-IS, students have to gain one of these qualifications:
- Baccalaureate qualification or equivalent with minimum high school GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale); or A-Level grade C (PUM range >=60); or minimum SAT reading and writing aggregate score of 1100/1600 or 1450/2400
- Appropriate English Proficiency Certifications including a minimum IELTS score of 5.5 or Level 4 of Vietnamese Standardized Test of English Proficiency (VSTEP)*
- Appropriate medical examination report for overseas study
- Sufficient finance evidence for overseas study in Vietnam
(*) Without required English proficiency certificate, students who meet other qualification and requirements will be offered to study intensive English preparation course at VNU-IS. Click here for details
When studying International Business at Vietnam National University, Hanoi International School, you will not only receive an open environment, enthusiastic teachers and respectable professors from Vietnam and other countries but also a promising potential for your dream career with well-prepared knowledge gained after this program.
For admission inquiries, please contact:
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Hotline: 024. 3555 3555 | 0983 372 988 | 0379 884 488 | 0989 106 633 or inbox directly to VNU – IS fanpage